If you are looking for a delicious cupcake recipe that is also quick and easy to make, you’ve found it. These homemade chocolate cupcakes are simple to make, easy to bake and the best chocolate cupcake recipe you will ever try.
Forget buying boxed cake mixes and baking in the oven when you can make these chocolate cupcakes in less than 20 minutes. No one will ever guess these are baked at home.
These cupcakes are loaded with chocolate flavor and they taste like a homemade chocolate cake! They are perfect for birthdays, holidays and any special occasion.
My kids love chocolate cupcakes and I thought it would be fun to make them a special treat. They love these chocolate cupcakes and I’ve been making them for years. They are easy to make and they freeze well, so you can bake and freeze them ahead of time.
These chocolate cupcakes are a great dessert option for birthdays and holidays. I love making them for baby showers and Mother’s Day.
How to make homemade chocolate cupcakes
These chocolate cupcakes are light and moist, and they’re easy to make. They take only a few ingredients and a few minutes to mix together.
The cupcakes can be made with regular or low-fat chocolate frosting.
• 1 package (12 ounces) of chocolate cake mix
• 1 cup boiling water
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Prepare the cupcake batter. Combine the cake mix, boiling water, eggs and butter. Mix thoroughly with a hand mixer.
Add the vanilla and beat well.
Pour the batter into a 12-cup muffin pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden.
Cool the cupcakes in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Then, remove the cupcakes from the pan, set them on a wire rack and cool completely.
Mix the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa and vanilla together in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until the frosting is light and fluffy.
How to frost homemade chocolate cupcakes
Here’s a quick overview of how to frost these easy chocolate cupcakes.
The frosting is a combination of buttercream frosting and chocolate frosting.
To make the frosting, you’ll need to melt the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract together.
Then, slowly add the powdered sugar.
You can either use a piping bag to pipe the frosting on the cupcakes or you can scoop it out with a spoon and spread it on the cupcakes.
How to decorate homemade chocolate cupcakes
Chocolate cupcakes are a fun and easy way to celebrate any occasion. You can dress them up with sprinkles, icing, or even a little bit of frosting.
Icing: You can use a good quality buttercream icing or vanilla frosting. For a simple chocolate cupcake, you can just spread a thin layer of frosting on top. For a fancier look, try a chocolate ganache frosting.
Sprinkles: You can add a few sprinkles of rainbow or star sprinkles. Or try a more elaborate design with a few drops of food coloring.
Frosting: For a simple chocolate cupcake, you can just spread a thin layer of frosting on top. For a fancier look, try a chocolate ganache frosting.
Tips for making homemade chocolate cupcakes
Here are a few tips for making these easy chocolate cupcakes.
Use butter instead of oil for the best flavor and texture.
Use a non-stick cake pan to prevent sticking.
Mix the dry ingredients together first and then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Tips for frosting homemade chocolate cupcakes
Here are a few helpful tips for frosting homemade chocolate cupcakes. If you have a favorite frosting recipe, feel free to use it.
To make a basic chocolate frosting, add 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, 1/3 cup of powdered sugar, 2 ounces of vanilla extract, and 1/2 ounce of salt to a mixing bowl. Beat the ingredients with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
If you want a more decadent frosting, add 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips to the frosting. If you prefer a white frosting, add 1/4 cup of cream cheese to the frosting.
Print your homemade chocolate cupcake recipe below
Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups melted chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour 12 cups of two muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, then add the melted chocolate chips and beat until combined.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the whipped cream and milk and beat until well incorporated.
- Fill a pastry bag with the frosting and pipe it onto cooled cupcakes.